Do you have Christmas traditions? Chanukkah? Other religious/non-religious celebrations? What are your favorite ones?
I love our traditions:
- My kids jumping in their PJs and wrapping in blankets to go and see lighted trees dance to Christmas Eve Sarajevo, and a list of other great Christmas songs
- The other (at the minimum) two Christmas Light shows we visit (not including the driving around neighborhoods to see all the hardwork people put into their home decorations)
- Bundled in blankets on the couch to watch The Polar Express or Elf or Home Alone or The Grinch
- Leaving shoes by the fireplace with carrots stuffed inside for SinterKlaas’s horses
- Chocolate covered Kruidnotens
- Chocolate Letters (first initials)
- Advent calendars (filled with chocolate, of course)
- Cinnamon rolls on Christmas morning
- Christmas Eve worship service at church
- Picking out a “real” Christmas tree the weekend (or the next) after Thanksgiving
Whatever the tradition, the focus comes back to one very important thing for me: Family.
Like in the video above, I would travel any distance, face any obstacle, to be with my family.
My heart is full because of them.
I realize, not everyone can say that. They don’t have the heart-filling traditions, any traditions. They don’t have family.
I was once one of them.
That brings me to my point. One that probably was lost in my rambles above, but one I hope is clear now.
Maybe a new tradition, for me and for you, is to be the heart-filling for someone this Holiday season. Families always have room for one or two more.
I don’t know what that will look like. It’ll be different for everyone of us.
But I know what it will feel like.
What are your favorite family traditions? Do you know someone who could use some heart-filling family togetherness (even if they aren’t technically family)? I would love to hear about it.
And, if you’re an author, I want to offer you help in any way I can. Check out my Author Services page to see more.
Like what you’re reading? Join my New story Email Group. You’ll get the latest news and access to stories you won’t find anywhere else. (And offers for my books not available to anyone else).